[extropy-chat] Can the Future Do Without Economic Logic?

Anders Sandberg asa at nada.kth.se
Sun Dec 10 00:06:10 UTC 2006

Technotranscendence wrote:
> Understand, too, that the mises.org crowd are going to focus on their
> favorite subjects, so when they come to any work of fiction, I expect
> them to be more sensitive to economics -- maybe to the point that they
> miss some wider issue.

A bit like how we science nerds groan when we see science errors. But I
think they did a fair picking apart of some points that they disagree
with, a bit like how some analyse Ringworld stability or the ecological
impact of exploding Death Stars.

Here is my response to the Mieses piece:
http://www.aleph.se/andart/archives/2006/12/should_economics_be_part_of_hard_sf.html

I think they underestimate the potential for turbulence in posthuman
economies and that we should think about reputation markets more.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Oxford Uehiro Centre for Practical Ethics