[extropy-chat] SECOND LIFE not working

Randall Randall randall at randallsquared.com
Mon Dec 11 08:30:45 UTC 2006

On Dec 10, 2006, at 1:51 PM, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 09, 2006 at 05:38:38PM -0500, Robert Bradbury wrote:
>
>>    I must concur with David's points.  Because there are a group of
>>    people pushing SecondLife to the ExICh community without perhaps
>>    providing sufficient "due diligence".  I thought I would relate my
>
> Pushing is putting it way too strongly. My only point with SL is
> that's it's an *arrived* (Total Residents: 1916105, logged in last
> 60 days: 690800, Online Now: 14941) and *rapidly growing* (the one
> million mark was just 18th October 2006) medium, which is
> frequented by mostly young people, some of which are even aware of
> transhumanism and have been actively looking for transhumanist
> communities. Bugger technology, it's a communication and outreach
> thing.
>
>>    experiences.
>>    When Second Life was first mentioned here I believe it was only
>>    available for Windows.  So I waited (having finally
>> transitioned from
>
> Nothing wrong with supporting Windows, it's what most people use.
> However, SL supports Windows, OS X and Linux (alpha):
> https://secondlife.com/corporate/sysreqs.php
>
>>    Windows to Linux on my desktop I'm not about to go back).  It
>> became
>
> Technically, I've never been a major Windows user, but since Ubuntu
> 6.06 LTS
> there's arguably a desktop distribution most people can live with
> (there's
> still some minor I-need-32bit-Firefox-because-of-Java-and-Flash
> beef, and printing
> support sucks as ever, but these warts I personally can live with).
>
>>    available in an "alpha" state sometime late this summer.  I
>> downloaded
>>    it and it did not work (complained about not being able to open a
>
> The missing libuuid.so.1 and libuuid.so.1.2 have been well-
> documented, and
> since the last build a couple of days ago (there seems to be a new
> SL Linux
> build every second day, or so) not even that is necessary.
>
>>    window).  Hours of googling, reconfiguring X windows,
>> rebuilding and
>
> If you're running accelerated drivers (the only option for Linux is
> nVidia)
> there should be no reconfiguration required. SL runs fine in dual-
> head mode,
> which is about the only way to run it (triple-head is arguably even
> better,
> though I'm still lusting after that 30" Dell).
>
>>    rebooting Linux (several days spent over several months) later
>> I did
>>    finally get it to bring up the main SL window.
>>    Conclusion:
>>    1) SL as distributed can only work under Linux for people who are
>>    either (a) lucky or (b) really know what they are doing and
>> want to
>>    spend the time to make it work.
>
> If you run a mainstream distribution (Fedora, Ubuntu) you should be
> [...]

I'll chime in here that SL runs slowly enough that movement was an
exercise
in waiting for things to appear last I tried it, several months ago.
Maybe
all that's changed now.  For reference, I have a 1.9Ghz G5 with 1.5GB
Mac,
and a 3MB cable network connection.

After being quite unimpressed with SL's blink-blink-blink virtual
world, I
was convinced to buy World of Warcraft and *totally* blown away by the
difference in smoothness and apparent solidity of the world.  This
suggests
that it's entirely possible to do a virtual world right, but at least
through
May or so of this year, they hadn't managed it (on Mac, at least).

Since I had already seen stuff about meetings in SL here by then, I,
too,
assumed that those using it must have top-end gaming machines to get
anything
more than 3 frames per second out of it.

--
Randall Randall <randall at randallsquared.com>
"You don't help someone by looking at their list of options and