[extropy-chat] SECOND LIFE not working

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Dec 11 11:09:22 UTC 2006

On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 03:30:45AM -0500, Randall Randall wrote:

> I'll chime in here that SL runs slowly enough that movement was an
> exercise
> in waiting for things to appear last I tried it, several months ago.
> Maybe
> all that's changed now.  For reference, I have a 1.9Ghz G5 with 1.5GB
> Mac,
> and a 3MB cable network connection.

This hardware should run great. Which graphics accelerator card do
you have?

> After being quite unimpressed with SL's blink-blink-blink virtual
> world, I
> was convinced to buy World of Warcraft and *totally* blown away by the
> difference in smoothness and apparent solidity of the world.  This
> suggests
> that it's entirely possible to do a virtual world right, but at least
> through
> May or so of this year, they hadn't managed it (on Mac, at least).

I need to check back with that, I've never tried the OS X SL client.
Can't see to find online reports about poor Mac performance.

> Since I had already seen stuff about meetings in SL here by then, I,
> too,
> assumed that those using it must have top-end gaming machines to get
> anything
> more than 3 frames per second out of it.

You should be getting 25 fps with that hardware without breaking a sweat.
http://www.versiontracker.com/php/feedback/article.php?story=20050618061835830
seems to indicate there are some light performance problems, but nowhere
as bad as the 3 fps you've cited.