[extropy-chat] SECOND LIFE not working

Randall Randall randall at randallsquared.com
Mon Dec 11 22:53:51 UTC 2006

On Dec 11, 2006, at 12:51 PM, Randall Randall wrote:
> On Dec 11, 2006, at 6:09 AM, Eugen Leitl wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 03:30:45AM -0500, Randall Randall wrote:
>>> more than 3 frames per second out of it.
>>
>> You should be getting 25 fps with that hardware without breaking a
>> sweat.
>> http://www.versiontracker.com/php/feedback/article.php?
>> story=20050618061835830
>> seems to indicate there are some light performance problems, but
>> nowhere
>> as bad as the 3 fps you've cited.
>
> The frames per second, although low, may not have been quite as low
> as 3. The biggest problem, for me, was that it took so long for
> objects
> (like buildings, etc) to fill in that I would have to stop and wait to
> see what I was near.
>
> After some more thought about this, I think this might well have been
> due to having to download everything, in contrast to WoW, which has
> the
> static parts of the world already in the application folder.  I'm
> going
> to try SL again later today, and report whether it seems to have
> improved.

Okay, I've done that.  The answer is "No, there's no
noticeable improvement."

I used SL's built-in movie maker to take a movie of just
walking around in SL:

http://randallsquared.com/download/movies/slmovie.mov

Please note that this is a 36M file!

For a control case, I downloaded a third party screencaster
and used it to make a similar walking-around video from WoW,
on the same machine less than an hour apart.

http://randallsquared.com/download/movies/wowmovie.mov

Please note that this is a 56M file!

Interestingly, the SL video is almost exactly the same in
speed as the actual SL environment, while the third party
screencaster slowed down WoW significantly, cutting its
apparent framerate in half or so (and causing me to misjudge
in the first few seconds and fall off a staircase).  Even
with this slowdown, though, WoW is screamingly fast in
comparison to SL.

I'm sure there are lots of reasons why SL can't be expected
to be as fast as WoW, yet, including having to download most
of the world through the internet, while WoW has the basic
world already on one's hard drive.  That said, on a fairly
recent iMac, SL is essentially unusable so far.

Or maybe my standards are too high. :)

--
Randall Randall <randall at randallsquared.com>
"If we have matter duplicators, will each of us be a sovereign