[extropy-chat] How Dangerous Our Times? (was Rational force?)

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 06:17:39 UTC 2006

> Already you're displaying unhealthy pessimism.  Are you *totally*
> sure that there is zero percent chance that cryonics will work?
> Whence such certainty?

No certainty at all - have you read my post on SL4, "Donaldson, Tegmark and
AGI"?

*Our* times are desperate?  I humbly suggest you read more
> history, and put yourselves in the invariably precarious position
> of our ancestors.  Now *those* times were desperate, at least
> for each individual.

And, fair point; I have done just as you suggest and I try to keep this in
mind. I'm a pragmatic pessimist, but hey, the bright side of being a
pessimist is your surprises are more likely to be good ones.

That's the spirit!

Good, we're on the same page!