[extropy-chat] META: Cable Speeds and delays [was: related to SecondLife]

Rik van Riel riel at surriel.com
Tue Dec 12 17:19:25 UTC 2006

Robert Bradbury wrote:
> One thing I have started to notice lately on our Comcast Cable with the
> Digital Box (as vs. the analog feeds for channels 2-99) is that it is
> taking *much* longer to change TV channels

The same is true for digital TV over the air (ATSC here in the US).

Presumably this is due to time-spread forward error correction code
in the signal, meaning that a few lost packets (due to eg. pulse
noise or lightning) do not mean you lose frames and audio in the
stream.

--
Politics is the struggle between those who want to make their country
the best in the world, and those who believe it already is.  Each group