[extropy-chat] Bully Magnets

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Wed Dec 13 17:05:13 UTC 2006

Rafal Smigrodzki wrote:

> ### You surely realize that it *is* the gangster's fault that
> the police are unwilling to bust him - obviously, his
> ferocity, utter contempt for police officers' lives,
> marksmanship, and bribes contribute to make them turn a blind
> eye to the depredations he inflicts on his victims.
>
> That's why honest people hate gangsters with a vengeance,
> because hate, well-tempered by reason, makes our lives better.

Hate is a heuristic, most useful in cases of insufficient understanding.

In my opinion Stuart made some excellent points, presenting a broader
view of these social and personal dynamics, but the picture he paints
leaves out the subjective element so vitally important to--and so
passionately defended by--certain of our list members.  There seems to
be a strong relation between positions on this topic and positions on
preservation of personal identity. In both cases there's a particular
sense of "I damn well know what's important to me so don't give me none
of yer high-falutin' theories that just cover up what everybody knows is
right."

I see bullying and gangs as large negative values to society, and
symptomatic of many deeper factors, but when considering these problems
I'm glad I don't experience the perturbations of hate.

By the way, I too went through years of being bullied as a child due to
being so different and "actin' all superior and shit" (and [still] not
being skilled at the game.)

- Jef