[extropy-chat] tepid response to hdtv

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Thu Dec 14 05:06:16 UTC 2006

I first saw HDTV about 15 yrs ago, 1990 or 91.  At the time we agreed it was
a great picture.  A friend invested a ton of money in one of the early
companies making sets, but lost it all because HDTV didn't really take off
in the 90s much.  I don't really get the feeling that the proletariat is
demanding HDTV even now, but the cable companies are pushing it and wanting
to charge more for it.

Insight: how many of us use the television the same now as we did back in
the old days?  Do you ever sit close enough to a TV and pay close enough
attention to notice the difference?  I don't, haven't for years, since the
internet showed up.  It often plays in the background, at a distance, but I
don't want to pay more for a clearer picture.

Am I the only one?