[extropy-chat] The New Atlantis compares JPII and Transhumanism

ben benboc at lineone.net
Sun Dec 17 12:53:50 UTC 2006

"spike" <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:

> Who is this Joseph Fletcher character that is being savaged?  I have
> been reading transhumanist stuff for over a decade and never heard of
> him.  The article seems to think he has something to do with
> transhumanism.

I suspect this is a strategy of demonisation by association.
Find somebody whose ideas are obviously reprehensible, find some link
(even a tenuous one) to a group you dislike, and thereafter quote the
person as a representative of the group, assuming that his views and the
group's views are synonymous.

ben zaiboc