[extropy-chat] H. Bacter Sightings (was: cold fusion warms up)

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Tue Dec 26 07:36:03 UTC 2006

At 01:50 AM 12/26/2006 -0500, John K Clark wrote:

>99.9% of the scientific community think cold fusion... is utter crap.

1)      What evidence can you offer for this amazingly precise
estimate? Are you sure it's not 87.3%?

2)      Even if it were accurate, how many of those who ridicule such
alleged effects have done the relevant experiments (<0.1%?) or even
read the published papers (<1.0%?) on on-going research?

>It would be neat if it worked but it doesn't

This looks like an ex cathedra statement to me, and (having, as they
say, no dog in this race) I'll respond by citing again support for
the effect from the only Nobel laureate physicist I'm in regular
communication with. This, incidentally, is an argument not "from
authority", but from heavy throw-weight track record (to mix athletic
metaphors). It's motive enough for me not to shut my eyes to the
alleged evidence from serious labs, even if the work is mostly done
on the cheap and despite the disapproval of a great many scientists
in the same disciplines. Too many other Nobels and pivotal
breakthroughs have been won in the face of premature and often
vociferously defended closure.

Damien Broderick