[extropy-chat] "google" as a verb

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Wed Dec 27 06:18:24 UTC 2006

At 09:38 PM 12/26/2006 -0800, Lee Corbin wrote:

>(My friends say I was the first in our group to use "google" as a verb;

I wonder when that started? Googling recursively to Wikipedia:

<"Google" was added to the Oxford English Dictionary on June 15,
2006."  However, "In their definition, it has a capital G and never a
lower-case g. It always refers to searching for information using the
Google search engine, which was named in 1998 [3].>

I verbed it generically in 1999 in my story "Infinite Monkey"
(Eidolon 29/30, 2000), but only at the suggestion of a hip, clubbish
editor, Jeremy G. Byrne.

Damien Broderick