[extropy-chat] Is Many Worlds testable?

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 29 05:26:08 UTC 2006

--- scerir <scerir at libero.it> wrote:

> Damien Broderick
> > This is probably a silly suggestion, but could
> > a physicist do the observing directly, and then
> > be dosed with Rohypnol or some other drug
> > interrupting short term memory, preventing
> > the memory of observation from going into
> > long term storage?
>
> It seems to me that the point is not the short/long
> memory, and related consciousness, but the
> 'observing
> directly'. If the observer measures and knows the
> 'which
> way' every particle took, the pattern on the screen
> is smooth. If the observer measures and knows
> nothing,
> the pattern is fully interferential. If the observer
>
> measures partially and knows partially the 'which
> way'
> every particle took, he gets a partial interference
> pattern.
>
> The interference pattern depends on the quantity of
> information the observer chooses to get (through
> the measurement apparata).
>
> Imagine a chameleon. On a green carpet his colour
> is green. On a brown carpet his colour is brown.
> On a green-brown carpet his colour should be
> green-brown, I suppose :-). What is the true
> colour of a chameleon? And what is the true shape
> of a photon? Limited and finite is the available
> information.

The shape of a photon is a moving wave from any
reference frame that is moving slower than it is "c".
>From a comoving reference frame, the photon is a
point.
When you realize that from its own point of view, a
photon travels at infinite speed, quantum erasure no
longer seems paradoxical.

Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"Aagghh! Who knew that bio-engineered food would lead to smart puke."
-Willy the school janitor from the Simpsons.