[extropy-chat] Explaining Time Travel via Wormhole

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Fri Dec 29 06:24:43 UTC 2006

At 09:37 PM 12/28/2006 -0800, Lee wrote:

>To explain concretely, suppose that you stay home and
>your identical sister goes on board a spaceship that
>heads for Alpha Centauri at .999999 the cpeed
>[felicitous typo or intended?] of light.
>Your sister has the other end of your wormhole in her
>cabin, and you two chat the whole time. Even though
>she's going near c, *through the wormhole* she's at
>rest relative to you! In fact, she's just a few feet
>away, and your conversation with her proceed normally
>(no speedup perceived by either party). You even dine
>with her in her cabin at one point, and later she
>watches a video with you in your motel room.

My novel GODPLAYERS disagrees:

===============

On an impulse, she opened a Schwelle upon Jan's
location. An odd wrongness to the usual tearing
sound set her teeth on edge. As always, the small
men fizzed at the boundary, almost visible, like
the Brownian motion of dust in a beam of
sunlight. Beyond the threshold, her sister sat in
some sort of elaborate chair, wearing exactly
what one would expect of someone with her
appalling fashion sense, hair in a spiky crew-cut, grin wide and gleaming.
           `Oh good, I was just going to open a
line to one of you guys.' Something buffeted her.
`Shit. Juni. You'll have to wait, people are trying to kill me.'
           It was like hearing a melody played
maybe a tenth of an octave too low and uncannily
slowed, just enough to notice. The light in the
cabin was wrong, too: all the colors were out of
whack. Juni squeezed her eyes tightly twice,
tried to clear her vision, even found herself
absurdly raising one flattened hand as if for
shade against glare, but the problem was not at her own end.
           Maddeningly, her first impression had
been right: all the colors were off, heavy dull
reds where you'd expect healthy pinks and
meter-display crimson, yellow glowing from panel
indicator strips that should be comforting green,
deep violet tinging the illumination strips,
oceanic greens elsewhere on the display icons instead of blue. Good grief.
           `You're in space.'
           `Good guess. Shut up and let me try to save my life.'
           The woman was time-dilated. The cabin
was a spacecraft under some kind of preposterous acceleration.
           Light exploded in a noiseless flash in
one large display. Juni flinched. Her sister's
mouth moved, as if in speech, but nothing was
audible. Well, naturally, she was interfaced with her craft's AI pilot.
           `The stupid fucks,' Jan said aloud,
and turned her wrong gaze to look across the
Schwelle. `They're trying to hit the dark
energy-engine. Don't they have any idea what that would­'
           More lights ripping at their eyes,
although scaled downwards, presumably, by the ship system.
           `Dark-­?' Juni started, then bit her
tongue. This was no time for distractions. Her
sister, perversely, chose to distract herself.
           `Hey, Juni, what the hell are your
nanoid things doing to your face? They're crawling all over you.'
           Instinctively, she brushed her fingers
across her cheeks. Nothing, of course. `What are you babbling about?'
           `Don't talk to me about babbling, you
sound like Donald Duck.' Jan uttered a throaty
laugh. `It's creepy, man. Your skin's gone kinda
yellow, and there's a reddish mist flickering all
around. Thought it was the small men.' Jan leaned
into the threshold, peering. `What the hell is
that? There's like an aura projected from your heart. Oh, hang on­'
           `IR heat emissions.' Juni said.
           After a just perceptible pause:
`Right. You're time-compressed to me, I'm dilated to you.'
           `Quite. Presumably you're seeing my infrared aura-­'
           `Not enough energy at that bandwidth.'
           `­with a little help from the fog at
the Schwelle interface. How very Gothic. Why are
you surprised by this, I thought you were the gung-ho spaceship captain?'
           Jan said, `Yeah, but believe it or not
this is the first time I've allowed a Schwelle to
open under acceleration, wasn't anxious to risk
it. Your timing was providential.' The cabin
shook again in a soundless explosion or more
probably an evasive maneuver jink or whatever the
pilot AI was up to. `Damn! I feel like just
coming across and leave them to it,' Jan told her
in that slightly slow, weirdly throaty voice. Her
grin was ferocious and feral. `I could kill the
lot of them, but what purpose would that serve?
By now I thought they'd have calmed down, it's
been more than half a century. Fuck, it's getting
hot in here. Put a cup of kava on for me, would you, old girl?'
           `You're just going to let some gang of
rowdy damn humans blow up your starship?' Juni
found herself deeply offended by the idea.
           `As I was just saying to Sylvie, their
ancestors paid for it. It's served its purpose.
I've found out what's been causing the
interference in all those... Hang on, I need to concentrate on the­'
           A composite panel peeled away above her head and burst into flame.
           `Uh-oh. Okay, dear old Hanger. Set the
controls for the heart of the Sun. It's been
real, sweetheart.' She was unbuffering herself,
and absently slapping out small flames from her hair.
           Something must have spoken to her
silently, perhaps the ship's system protesting. She laughed, doubled up.
           `Oh no, you great goose, of course I
didn't mean it. It's a song, remember? If I was
going to abandon you, I'd have done it in orbit
around the Xon star. Stepped back to Earth and
saved myself plenty of travel vouchers, right?
No, I think you're a very nice ship. Once I'm out
of here, spill the air from the cabin, that'll
deal with the fires. Then torch up to point nine
nine lights, make sure they don't hit you with
their Son o'Star beam weapons, try not to kill
anyone, and park somewhere Sunward of Mercury.
Not too close. I'll be back. Ouch.'
           Juni stepped as close to the threshold
as she dared, held out both hands. Jan came
across in a slurring lurch of transduced light at
the fog boundary. All her colors leaped back into
registration, tartan in its proper weave, and her
voice rose from contralto to mezzo without
getting any louder. `Thanks, bub. You should really close the­'
           But Juni was already muttering the
deixis code. The threshold closed even as board
displays on its far side down-shifted
relativistically into the far infra-red and
beyond as the starship went toward luminal. Darkness at the speed of light.
           `Look at you,' Juni said crossly. `You
could dress like the Empress of Alexandria and
instead I find you done out like a tramp.'
           `Oh.' Jan looked guilty. `Rats, I left your wardrobe behind.'
           `Never mind that, I can replicate
another one for you while we have a chat. Now
come in here and sit down and tell me what you've
been up to. Started any new wars lately? It's been decades, darling.'
           `For you, maybe, not for me.'
           `Hmm. You really did say kava? You do still drink the filthy stuff?'
           `Is the Pope Hebrew?'
           `I beg your pardon?'
           Jan made that vexing sound Juni knew
only too well, even if it had been decades since
she had heard it: a blend of mockery and tried
patience. `Yes, dear. Kava, please. Does something smell scorched?'
           `Your hair, I believe,' Juni said,
with a certain satisfaction. `Singed at the back.
What can you expect when you fly around the solar
system in a burning spaceship?'
           `Oh shit. And just when I'd got it
growing out again.' She smiled sunnily. `But of course, by a stroke of luck-­'
           `­-my nimble little aerosol offogs
will fix that in a trice. Quite so.'
           As the kava congealed into being
inside the maker, frothing in its clay jug, Jan's
spiky hair moved slightly, as if invisible
fingers stroked through it. Light shivered about
her, like a nano version of the frequency-shifted
aura Jan had seen surrounding her own body from
the spacecraft. That had been the infrared heat
emissions of her metabolism, accelerated just
enough by the time scale difference to enter the
visible spectrum, then amplified and transduced
by the minuscule operating fabrication fog units
that hung everywhere in the atmosphere of this
cognate Earth. Now the same small men,
ingeniously capable, spun and toiled and took
apart the charred hairs of her sister's head, and recompiled them.
           `You're happy with it that short?
Extensions would suit you, but you'd have to lose that dreadful outfit.'
           `Fuck off,' Jan said amiably, pulling
stone bowls from the maker and pouring both of
them a slug of the barbarous stuff. She raised
her bowl in a salute. `To the best of times, the worst of times.'
           Juni shook her head ruefully at her
sister's irreverence but raised her own bowl. The
small men, responsive to her whispered
instruction, were already working on the
molecules, denaturing the alkaloids, changing the
bitter yellow-green muck into caffeine-free iced tea.

and so on.

Is the even-handedness of relativity offended by this account? Perhaps.

Damien Broderick