[extropy-chat] Is Many Worlds testable?

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Fri Dec 29 07:13:22 UTC 2006

At 01:58 AM 12/29/2006 -0500, John K Clark wrote:

>their fall back position that observation collapses the wave function,
>because for some people any physical change is an observation.

Well, I think the latter is the decoherence model, where any
*sufficient* degree of induced change in the local environment acts
to hide the persistent quantum weirdness, effectively creating the
classical observables. In that sense, the environment can be said
metaphorically to "observe" the prepared state (as does a measuring
instrument), but consciousness, of course, has nothing to do with it.

Damien Broderick