[extropy-chat] "Hierarchical power is out"

Alex Ramonsky alex at ramonsky.com
Mon Dec 25 09:12:11 UTC 2006

I think something is missing from your 'farmers' example -the 'coercion'
starts to come in when farmer # 5 can no longer buyresources, spares or
parts for his/her technology or agriculture methods because the
suppliers don't stock them any more. Folks are forced to upgrade or drop
out. Psychological pressure to conform is also coercion; how will the
kids at school cope with being called the 'hillbilly family' or 'the
Amish'? It's hard to 'freely choose' anything when actual physical harm
to oneself and one's kin results from doing anything that 'doesn't fit in'.
Just a thought.
AR