[extropy-chat] global warming eats island

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Sat Dec 30 02:48:20 UTC 2006

On 12/30/06, Lúcio de Souza Coelho <lucioc at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, if we have highly advanced [bio|nano]tech, will we really want
> to "save the world" (as we know it)? Quite on the contrary, I think
> that we will want to radically transform it.

Having been "there", at least in my mind, for the sake of brevity on the
list I will not go there today [1].   And I will humbly suggest that it may
be better to not dangle such opportunities in front of the Aristoi [2].  Lúcio,
as I believe you are a relatively recent list contributor, *you* may not
realize what the people on *this* list could do with that simple statement.
The observation is valid.  Now the question becomes how does one constrain
Aristoi to develop it and enable it to benefit us all?  Is your radical
transformation Hitler's vision?  We (on this list) all know how "there"
turns out, what we really need to wrestle with is how we get from here to
there.

Robert

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aristoi>
1. In my first pass at responding to this I started to enumerate the names
as to who would say what, which directions they would take the conversation,
etc..  The list rapidly became too long. [3]
2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aristoi
3. In thinking about this [and this is a completely side vector from the
active thread] *who* has the "group mind" of the ExICh list?