[extropy-chat] global warming, with ice

Joseph Bloch transhumanist at goldenfuture.net
Sun Dec 31 01:02:46 UTC 2006

Damien Broderick wrote:

>Perhaps the hothouse skeptics will have a view on this report?

<snip>

Only that I find it remarkable that the implication is that sheets of
ice never cleaved off an arctic or antarctic ice sheet prior to the 18th
century or so, which is the earliest that human effects might possibly
have been responsible. (And by "hothouse skeptics" I am of course
intuiting that that is what you mean; those who are skeptical of human
causality for measurable increase in global temperature.)

Perhaps the fact that the Earth is still coming out of the Little Ice
Age (which ended in the mid-19th century) might have something to do
with it, as opposed to human industry.

And, of course, it is entirely possible that the decrease in the number
of pirates has had an impact on global warming as well;
http://www.venganza.org/piratesarecool4.jpg

;-)

Joseph