[extropy-chat] Is Many Worlds testable?

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sun Dec 31 04:44:12 UTC 2006

At 07:56 PM 12/30/2006 -0800, Stuart wrote:

>For me MWI has greater scope than
>simply a quantum phenomenon. For example, I flip a
>coin. According to MWI, the universe splits into two
>universes, one in which the coin lands on heads and a
>second where it lands on tails.

My (limited) understanding is that a coin toss is not relevant to
MWI, unless you can show that the outcome is quantum-conditioned. The
Cat needs a radioactive, quantum-stochastic chooser to put it into
the superposed alive/dead state. The spin and fall of a coin might be
chaotic (or might not be--I'm told some experts can control the thing
perfectly after long practice) but it's not quantal--it's classical. No?

Damien Broderick