[extropy-chat] Cryonics and uploading

Heartland velvethum at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 1 19:48:06 UTC 2006

> "Heartland" <velvethum at hotmail.com>
>
>> you need to realize at some point that your current subjective experience
>> would NOT transfer to your copy.  Of course, the copy would "feel" that
>> the original subjective experience has been transferred successfully.
>> However, the point is that dead original wouldn't.

> Let me see if I have this straight, you feel like the subjective
> experience
> of the you of yesterday has been successfully transferred to the you of
> today, but you might be mistaken because the you of yesterday might not
> feel
> that way, he might not feel that he has transferred his subjective
> experience to the you of today.

It's a fair point. However, you imply that something "transferred" here.
Nothing did. My original mind process has been continuously active since my
birth to this current moment.

Transfers only apply to situations where there have been brakes in the
continuity of the process.

>> Don't expect your subjective experience you carry now to magically
>> continue on a destructively uploaded copy.
>
> But you just said the you of today thinks your subjective experience has
> continued and he is the final arbiter on the subject,

Copy is not the final arbiter here. A log tracking space-time trajectories
of the original mind and copy would be.

>> each mind (that produces that subjective experience) carves out
>> separate and verifiably unique trajectory in space-time
>> from any other mind
>
> Separate and verifiably unique trajectory in space-time, wow, I like the
> way
> that trips off the tongue, it sounds so very scientific.

Since when we should deduct points for being precise, accurate, and
succinct? It is what it is, what can I tell you.

> You said yourself a few posts ago than mind is not the brain and I agree,
> mind is not a object so it does not have a trajectory is space time unique
> or otherwise, neither does "fast" or "pink" or "smart" or "big" or any
> other
> adjective.

Matter that implements it does and you only need to track matter.

 Slawomir