[extropy-chat] Faith-based thought vs thinkers Re:IntelligentDesign: I'm not dead yet

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 1 20:37:48 UTC 2006

--- Brett Paatsch <bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au> wrote:
> Are you saying faith-based groups are effectively
> blocking the release of funding in California?

Actually it is a couple of lawyers that are opposed to
stem cell research "on ethical grounds" (perhaps for
faith based reasons but also hoping to get their
greedy hands on some of that $3 billion, I am certain)
that have filed lawsuits against the state in order to
-

"challenge the legality of Proposition 71, contending
that it allows state money to be spent by people not
adequately under state control." Hmmm, like the
MAJORITY of Californians that voted proposition 71
into place? Talk about hypocritical statist luddite
filth .

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/10/business/10stem.html?pagewanted=2&ei=5088&en=7a098385ad1ff9bc&ex=1291870800&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

I did a little more digging and found out that while
the first lawsuit was dismissed, the second is still
ongoing:

*The second lawsuit challenging Proposition 71 was
filed by a newly created nonprofit entity,
"Californians for Public Accountability and Ethical
Sciences."

The second action claims that Proposition 71
inappropriately and explicitly exempts certain members
of the ICOC from California's Conflict of Interest
Laws. For example, the plaintiffs allege that
Proposition 71 allows family members to vote on
research grants aimed at researching diseases that
they or their family
members may have in violation of state law. The
lawsuit also suggests that 10 of the appointed 29
members represent specific disease advocacy groups, a
fact which according to the complaint, will improperly
result in an inordinate amount of research funding
addressing illnesses and
diseases of significance to such members; thereby
potentially overshadowing other unrepresented
diseases or illnesses.*

http://www.foley.com/files/tbl_s31Publications/FileUpload137/2851/Stem%20Cell%20Legislative%20Process%20-%20v.%206%20_2_.pdf
*************************************

So essentially what these clowns are arguing is that
because research on curing every possible rare disease
is not being funded by proposition 71, the really
common diseases that impact millions every day should
not have their research funded either. It is truly
amazing how small groups of self-righteous fanatics
can perform end runs around democracy these days.

Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"Thereupon, the Soul of Mother Earth bewailed, Should I accept the support of a feeble man and listen to his words? In fact I desired the aid of a strong and mighty king. When shall such a person arise and bring strong-handed succor to me?" -Yasna 29, verse 9

"Now I am light, now I am flying, now I see myself beneath myself, now a God dances through me." - St. Nietzsche