[extropy-chat] ray gun

Dirk Bruere dirk.bruere at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 13:10:25 UTC 2006

On 2/2/06, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/2/06, Dirk Bruere wrote:
> >  OTOH a good laser system would render air power obsolete.
> >  No more 'bloodless wars' for the US - back to bayonets in the trenches.
> >

> Hey, it kills people as well, if they get hit by it. All the article
> said was that it didn't blow up the building next door, like big bombs
> do.
>
> Another article suggested that the strength of the beam could be
> reduced so it could be used as a disabling weapon.   Israel also is

A flame thrower is also a disabling weapon by that definition.

eager to get a laser weapon that could destroy all the grenades and
> rockets that the Palestinians keep lobbing at them.

And I have had big discussions on both physics NGs and
sci.military.moderated as to why countermeasures to defeat it are simple and
easy. The name of the (last) system is THEL. I'll believe it when Israel
seriously deploys it and their enemies seriously try to implement those
countermeasures and fail.

Dirk