[extropy-chat] [Social decision-making] Pandora music service breaks new ground

Dirk Bruere dirk.bruere at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 21:35:19 UTC 2006

On 2/3/06, Jef Allbright <jef at jefallbright.net> wrote:

> An article in the LA Times today describes progress and rapid growth of
> users with a new way of distributing music based on recognition of shared
> (musical) values.
>
> This is exciting because it inverts the tired old model of trying to
> enlarge audience share by an averaging or lowest common denominator approach
> such as we see with much of television programming.
>
> With this new approach, a larger audience is reached and satisfied by
> increasing awareness of the shared aspects of a diverse set of musical
> attributes.  Approximately 400 different musical characteristics are
> analyzed and then matched with user preferences to determine the likely
> value of particular music selections to a particular user.
>
> I expect this higher-intelligence/higher-bandwidth model to spread quickly
> to other entertainment domains, followed by news, education, and eventually
> applied to increasing awareness of shared human values (not averaged, but
> with high detail) for effective social decision-making, formerly known as
> politics.
>
> References
> [1] LA Times: That Song Sounds Familiar  [Registration may be required]<http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-et-pandora3feb03,1,5395052,full.story>
> [2] Jef's Web Files:  Abstract and commentary area for the article and
> related subjects <http://www.jefallbright.net/node/3357>
> [2] Pandora.com <http://pandora.com/>

"*The first album from indie band Arctic Monkeys has become the
fastest-selling debut album in UK chart history. *

Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not was released on 23 January and
has sold more than 360,000 copies."

"

He added: "In the space of just a few weeks the Arctic Monkeys have gone
from being relative newcomers to becoming a household name."

Arctic Monkeys built up their fan base on the internet, after demo CDs they
handed out at gigs in 2003 were put on the web for other people to hear."

Dirk