[extropy-chat] [Tech] StarChase Pursues High-Tech End to High-Speed Chases

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Fri Feb 3 21:54:54 UTC 2006

This item in Friday's LA Times caught my attention.  It un-asks the question
of how to deal with the dangers of high-speed car chases by proposing a way
to eliminate the high-speed chase.

An air-propelled sticky projectile, about the size of a golf ball and
containing a GPS receiver, is shot at the car being pursued.  The car can
then be tracked via radio triangulation at a safe speed and distance.  A
four to six month trial with a small number of patrol cars is beginning in
Los Angeles.

If the technology proves its effectiveness, I wonder what objections will be
thrown at this innovation and whether any will stick.