[extropy-chat] NASA and the Big Bang "theory"

kevinfreels.com kevin at kevinfreels.com
Sat Feb 4 20:36:35 UTC 2006

This wouldn't be totally inaccurate if people would focus on the actual
scientific meaning of the word "theory". Unfortunately, too many people
think that the word "theory" is the same as "conjecture", "hypothesis", or
"guess". A flat Earth "theory" is not theory at all since there is no body
of knowledge or fact involved that has survived repeated testing.

I get this argument from creationists all the time where they say things
like "If it were proven, it would be a fact and not a theory". This is a
horrible failure of education.