[extropy-chat] NASA and the Big Bang "theory"

ben benboc at lineone.net
Sun Feb 5 22:07:40 UTC 2006

Good gravy, when will all these people insisting upon the word 'theory'
figure out what that actually means?

They obviously think it somehow degrades the ideas presented in the
theory, and that a theory is somehow inferior.

Look at at all the insubstantial theories we have: the theory of plate
tectonics, the theory of evolution, einstein's theories of relativity,
even the standard model of physics is a theory. I also have a theory
that the sun will rise tomorrow morning. Perhaps i should be worried,
because after all, it's 'just' a theory.

It would be interesting to propose that we should refer to the god
theory, the genesis theory, the jesus theory, the virgin birth theory,
the original sin theory, the infallibility of the pope theory, the
apocalypse theory ...

But it's a shame most of those can't actually be tested, so they can't
be dignified with the word 'theory'.

The big bang IS a theory, and that's all it needs to be. It should be
proud to be one.

ben