[extropy-chat] Email Postage

Brian Lee brian_a_lee at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 6 15:55:30 UTC 2006

That would pretty much kill mailing lists like this one.

The problem with "email postage" is that it kills many legitimate internet
functions that wouldn't work if email wasn't free. So mailing lists, alerts,
etc would all suck at US$.05/email.

The problem with AOL and Yahoo's charging for email is:
1) It will allow direct spam to your inbox with no way of blocking it (think
of it as a deluge of direct mail that you can't filter).
2) The additional revenues don't decrease user costs.

So I estimate that a few years from now, should email postage take off,
we'll still get spam but it will be "legitimate" or "semi-legitimate" since
US$.05 is still cheaper than junk mailing out credit card offers and real
estate pitches.

I think a system of signatures that can be added to a trusted list. Or
create an email certificate authority that I can trust any sender with a
certificate from that authority. If I end up blocking too many senders from
an authority, I will rescind the grant.

The solution to spam needs to be free. Not another way for ISPs to cash in.

BAL