[extropy-chat] Email Postage

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Tue Feb 7 08:58:44 UTC 2006

It is a terrible idea.  We have a medium that allows for the free
exchange of a lot of information between people and computational
elements.  The suits would like nothing better but to raise mega-$$$
on the communication flowing across the Net.  If they can do it under
the guise of protecting us then so much the better.  But the result
will be a more controlled and far less free and ubiquitous
communication network.  This also would please many political as well
as corporate parties and many established powers who worry the Net is
outside their control and a potential threat.   Please be very
careful not to give control over content up without a lot of thought
and a long fight for every bit of freedom the open Net provides.
This really is not about spam.  A Mind is a terrible thing to control
and throttle.   Yeah, the Net today is less than a drooling idiot.
But the potential is vast.  Don't throw it away just to not have to
filter spam.

- samantha