[extropy-chat] (Health) Adenovirus- the obesity bug?

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 7 18:58:44 UTC 2006

I have studied viruses for years but this article
caught me by surprise:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/20060131/hl_hsn/obesitymightbecatching;_ylt=Ar6TIixwfOhHaXwVyp.qnRXVJRIF;_ylu=X3oDMTA5aHJvMDdwBHNlYwN5bmNhdA--

I wouldn't have thunk it, but it is entirely
plausible. The standard belief is that adenoviruses
just cause colds, but if there is data to back up this
claim, I think it explains a lot. Especially why
metabolic satiation signals don't seem to be processed
properly in the morbidly obese. At least it makes more
sense than fast food advertising over-riding the
hypothalamus. I am all for a vaccine against
adenovirus. Even if it doesn't keep you thin, catching
fewer colds would still be worth it.

Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"Thereupon, the Soul of Mother Earth bewailed, Should I accept the support of a feeble man and listen to his words? In fact I desired the aid of a strong and mighty king. When shall such a person arise and bring strong-handed succor to me?" -Yasna 29, verse 9

"Now I am light, now I am flying, now I see myself beneath myself, now a God dances through me." - St. Nietzsche