[extropy-chat] List for transhumanism and disability issues

Hughes, James J. james.hughes at trincoll.edu
Fri Feb 10 14:11:27 UTC 2006

Friends

A couple years ago a young disabled man in England, Alan Pottenger,
started an organization for disabled transhumanists, the Ascender
Alliance. I'm not sure what's become of him I'm afraid, and his list on
Yahoo has gone fallow. But the idea is increasingly important. The
connection between the two movements is vital for both, as the disabled
are on the forefront of the struggle for morphological diversity and
technological empowerment, and are pioneers in the cyborgological
enhancement of the human body and brain.

We're starting this list, wta-disability, to begin to work on that
important set of issue and movement linkages, and to provide a space for
transhumanists with disabilities to discuss topics of interest. I hope
you will join the list and find it useful.

James Hughes Ph.D.
Executive Director
World Transhumanist Assoc.   Inst. for Ethics & Emerging Tech.
http://transhumanism.org     http://ieet.org
director at transhumanism.org   director at ieet.org
Editor, Journal of Evolution and Technology
http://jetpress.org

Mailing Address: Box 128, Willington CT 06279 USA
(office) 860-297-2376