[extropy-chat] NASA Planning Six More Centennial Challenges

Neil H. neuronexmachina at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 04:38:17 UTC 2006

Below is a story I submitted to slashdot a couple days ago. It might be
worthwhile for members of this list to read over the rules draft, and
perhaps comment on ways the rules might be improved.

I also wonder if there are any transhumanism-related challenges which NASA
might be interested in. Perhaps they could organize competitions for things
like cryonics and nanotechnology?

http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/02/09/0436255

NASA has <a href=
http://www.space.com/businesstechnology/060208_centennial_challenges.html>announced
plans</a> for six more Centennial Challenges for space-related technological
achievements. The X Prize-inspired competitions will have cash prizes of up
to $5 million. The challenges are for an orbital fuel depot, a lunar-capable
all-terrain vehicle, a pressure suit, a long-term rechargeable power system,
a micro reentry vehicle, and a maneuverable solar sail. NASA is currently
requesting feedback comments on its <a href=
http://prod.nais.nasa.gov/eps/eps_data/118924-OTHER-001-001.doc>current
draft</a> of the contest rules.