[extropy-chat] Protect ourselves to prevent a return to the middle ages

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Sun Feb 12 06:09:02 UTC 2006

--- Brett Paatsch <bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au> wrote:
> So, I'd really like to see *anyone* that ever posts to the
> ExI chat list and is a US residing libertarian be very clear
> about who they are including and excluding when ever
> they use the word "we".

We are, for the purposes of humor and of proving your point,
using the royal "we" for the duration of this particular
post.

We are not technically "at war" with anyone, in the usual
sense.  We are, however, fighting our fights in technical
realms beyond what most religious zealots, neo-luddites, and
similar types are even considering.  We are, in short,
attempting to bring about certain technologies before the
would-be opposition has much chance to comprehend and oppose
them.

We do not expect to invoke the Singularity on our own, but it is
our hope that by making real at least a substantial portion of
its requirements, those who stand themselves in opposition to
human progress merely because it upsets the old ways and/or
their personal power bases (which does not, by the way, include
those who can point to concrete potential harm upon humanity to
justify their opposition, such as those who do not wish nuclear
weapons to destroy or help destroy a major fraction of humanity0
will be rendered irrelevant, their hypocracy made so readily
apparent that very few if any people will believe their words.

In short, we have better and more urgent things to do than fight
the latest batch of religious extremists.  Besides, others are
already fighting said extremists so that we can proceed with our
work - and if you ask said fighters, phrasing it so they
understand, they would most likely agree with our assessment.