[extropy-chat] The existential threat of international law

Brett Paatsch bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au
Sun Feb 12 07:55:08 UTC 2006

Russell Wallace wrote:

> Oppose international law, the United Nations and anything that
> reduces world political disunity.

I don't doubt your sincerity here, nor that your views are likely to
be shared by some other posters, but I do wonder if, or how, you
or anyone else would reconcile such a stance with any philosophy
of extropy. [I took another look at the principles of extropy around
the open society section].

I wonder what theory of the origin and purpose of law in society,
if any, you could currently hold.

Your above statement doesn't seem to be a statement that could
be made by someone that had considered the notion of the social
contract.  Come to think of it I'm not sure I picked up my
understanding from the original inventers of the social contract
writers either.

Were I to undertake to try to persuade you that international law is
not only good, but that were it not to exist that its creation would
be the highest extropic imperative, I would probably do so from
principles of contract law.

Brett Paatsch