[extropy-chat] thought space map on cartoons

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Sun Feb 12 16:53:40 UTC 2006

On 2/11/06, spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:

> For the sake of argument, let us make a thought space
> map.  Form four quadrants by asking oneself two questions:
>
> A.  Were the Danish newspapers right to publish the cartoons?
> B.  Were the protesters right to react as they have?
>

> Position 1: no, no.  This is the peacemaker position, Bush,
> Blair, some other world leaders are going this route.
>
> Position 2: no, yes.  Presumably the protesters point of
> view.
>
> Position 3: yes, no.  Most journalists will go here, along
> with many westerners who are not 1s.
>
> Position 4:  Yes, yes.  If both were right, the proponents
> of this view must acknowledge that this will lead to conflict
> which could tear apart societies and possibly lead to world
> war 4.
>
> I recognize there are plenty of ways to complicate the
> question, but let us start with this simplified thought
> space map.  Can we make any generalizations?  Note that
> I am not asking about legality: the Danish government does
> not control the press, so from a government point of view
> the cartoons were legal whereas the protests, at least the
> violent ones, were not.
>
> I am asking from the moral and ethical point of view,
> which quadrant would one put oneself, and why?  What
> do you see as the long term consequences of your quadrant,
> and what of the other three.  Handle this topic with
> care please.

Thanks Spike for providing a framework for some effective discussion
of this current issue with far-reaching implications.

Effective, (1) because it asks us to understand the various points of
view at play, and  (2) because it asks how to consider how we decide
what is "right".

Lacking an objective indicator of "right" and "wrong", the question
comes down to the following: Which choices promote values that will
survive and grow because they tend to work over increasing scope
within a competitive/cooperative environment?

A.  Were the Danish newspapers "right" to publish the cartoons?
In the short term, it may be counterproductive to publish provocative
or antagonistic cartoons, but in the longer term, increased visibility
of differing points of view increases awareness and provides
opportunities for increased understanding that tends to promote those
local values that best work.

B. Were the protesters "right" to react as they have?
In the short term, it may feel good to vent anger and breed hostility
with a socially narrow mode of in-group vs. out-group behavior, and
such behavior can have the short term positive effect of disrupting
the status quo and thus potentiating change, but in the longer term
such behavior tends to increase the probability that some local values
of benefit will be lost in destructive conflict.

As usual with questions of "right and wrong", there is no definitive
answer, and we would do best to base our decisions on principles that
promote positive-sum growth of values that work over expanding scope.

Discovering and refining those principles, and building effective
social frameworks for their implementation should be our over-arching
goal.

- Jef
http://www.jefallbright.net
Increasing awareness for increasing morality.