[extropy-chat] 37 pound woman gives birth

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Sun Feb 12 20:11:34 UTC 2006

Hey here we go.  I wonder if she or one like her would be
interested in going to Mars?

Three-Foot Tall Woman Has Healthy Baby
Friday, February 10, 2006

PALO ALTO, Calif. — A woman who is 3 feet tall and weighed 37 pounds before
she got pregnant has given birth to her first child — a healthy boy.
Eloysa Vasquez, who uses a wheelchair and had two miscarriages, suffers from
Type 3 osteogenesis imperfecta, a disorder that makes bones soft and
brittle.

Vasquez gained 20 pounds during pregnancy and delivered the 3 pound, 7 ounce
baby on Jan. 24 at Stanford University's Lucile Packard Children's Hospital.
"We just took one day at a time. We had a lot of people praying for us. We
just believed ... and here we have our son," Vasquez, 38, of Tulare, told
The Fresno Bee for a story Thursday.
Doctors said they delivered Baby Timothy by Caesarean section eight weeks
before due date in order to protect the mother's fragile health — her tiny,
distorted body left little room for a fetus to grow.
They said Timothy did not inherit his mother's genetic condition.
Judging from her son's long fingers and toes, Vasquez said, "I think he's
going to be a tall boy."

Her husband, Roy, said his wife's small stature can be deceiving: "She's a
strong lady."
According to the university, one in only 25,000 to 50,000 births are to a
mother with osteogenesis imperfecta, and even fewer involve moms with the
severe Type 3 form.