[extropy-chat] thought space map on cartoons

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Mon Feb 13 06:15:18 UTC 2006

On Feb 12, 2006, at 1:00 AM, Robert Bradbury wrote:

> I would have to go with (3) yes, no.  Not however from the freedom
> of speech standpoint that most journalists and many westerners
> might adopt.  Instead I would base the argument that if the Muslims
> (and most Christians) continue to follow a set of beliefs involving
> the predominant "life after death" concept then they will
> ultimately end up dead.  Allowing a person to die when one has the
> knowledge which might save them ( i.e. the knowledge available to
> most people on this list) is presumably immoral and unethical.

How so.  I don't find it ethical to force the horse to drink the
water once it has been made available.  It just annoys the horse and
raises a LOT of issues.

> The moral/ethical (and extropic) arguments would dictate that
> continuing to allow people to worship "false gods" when one knows
> that better belief systems available is wrong.

Far as I know, they don't require my permission or allowing them to
do so.  What exactly makes it my business to butt into their lives
although I would consider it as egregious affront if they butted into
mine?  Why is my appraisal of what is better more compelling (and
morally must compel) than theirs?

> If people are fully informed and they choose to follow some set of
> beliefs to their death that is fine -- so long as they allow others
> to follow different sets of beliefs.

Exactly.  No talk of us being immoral if we don't interfere with
their idiocy.

> If however people are not fully informed then it seems to be an
> avoidance of ones moral/ethical duty to allow that situation to
> continue.  Humor or irony is one form of expression which can be
> used to point out inconsistent meme sets.

How exactly would you determine whether they are "fully informed" or
not?  What if they do not wish to be fully informed?

All of that said I think we should publicly show contempt of many
things that are claimed by and done in the name of religion.

- samantha