[extropy-chat] thought space map on cartoons

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Mon Feb 13 06:21:14 UTC 2006

On Feb 12, 2006, at 2:44 AM, Jack Parkinson wrote:

> [...]

Funny we don't ask that of the stuff published against others in
Muslim countries.   There is a lot of hypocrisy here.  I think
religious cartoons are a good thing myself.  They are very different
from the blatant hatred published in some Muslim rags.

> B.  Were the protesters right to react as they have?

Hell no.

> Position 3: yes, no.  Most journalists will go here, along
> with many westerners who are not 1s.
>
> ******Most westerners will/should be here I think, however this
> position should be tempered by the knowledge that tolerance (free
> speech) needs to be balanced with respect (sensitivity to the
> feelings of others). Medieval jesters were permitted to mock the
> royal personage and burlesque the accepted rules of court - so long
> as they were witty, satirical, admirable, laughable, wry, and
> amusing. But they walked a tightrope - gratuitously offensive
> jesters could face the dungeons - or worse...
> In this respect it would perhaps be better to regard free speech as
> a privilege - something hard-won and not to be senselessly
> frittered away on trivial indulgence.

Free speech is all about it being A-OK to very bluntly and publicly
disrespect idiocy or it is nothing at all.  Free speech is a right,
not a privilege.  There is no right to have one's idiocy treated with
respect.

- samantha