[extropy-chat] Pluto New Horizons launch -getting ready

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 20:46:28 UTC 2006

Just to continue on this thread.  According to [1], New Horizons will be
going ~50,370 km/h when it passes by Pluto.  Compare that with the Stardust
sample return capsule which hit the Earth's atmosphere at ~46,660 km/h --
that isn't *that* big a difference.  Now I realize that Pluto doesn't have
much of an atmosphere one can use to slow one down but there ought to be
ways (as I mentioned previously) to compensate.

Robert

1. http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/spacecraft/q0260.shtml