[extropy-chat] Fundamental limits on the growth rate of superintelligences

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Tue Feb 14 05:48:49 UTC 2006

"kevinfreels.com" <kevin at kevinfreels.com>

> What exactly are you referring to when you mention "growth rate"? Are you
> referring to the speed at which it becomes more intelligent?

Yes.

> Obtains more  control?

Yes.

 > Increases it's own processing speed?

Yes.

 > How exactly do you even  quantify a "growth rate"
> for a sentient superintelligence?

In your life I am certain you have met people you judge to be smart and
people you judge to be stupid, how exactly did you  quantify it?

> Certainly you  aren't just referring to processor speed.

You're right, I'm not just talking about how fast the AI thinks, but I could
be and the situation would not change. Even if your opponent was no smarter
than you are if he could think several million times faster you will not
win. Signals move in the human brain at about 100 meters a second, in an AI
they would move at 300,000,000 meters a second and they would have less
distance to travel. Game over.

  John K Clark