[extropy-chat] Superintelligence

Mikhail John edinsblood at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 16 02:54:29 UTC 2006

We've got real big bombs now. Unless the superintelligence discovers exotic
new physics applications, say, a force field, those bombs are going to hurt.
I'm assuming that it would be difficult to maintain a distributed intellect
while boiling oceans and ripping continents apart, and once centralized the
AI will be (relatively) open to attack. Even when distributed you could
severely inconvenience it by severing internet hubs or somesuch, possibly
opening it up for viral attack.

Because while it would difficult to boost a continent to orbit, a Von
Neumann machine would be effortless. Once in space, expansion becomes
easier.

Do you want a chimp in your house, trying to eat your cat? I think not. Do
you want a chimp on your same continent, never to be seen? Who cares? Space
is quite large. No shortage of room. Now that I've thought about it, the
chance that an AI will leave and ignore us completely seems far more likely.