[extropy-chat] Cults

Keith Henson hkhenson at rogers.com
Thu Feb 16 07:10:15 UTC 2006

At 07:55 PM 2/15/2006 -0500, you wrote:
>BillK,
>
>This was an excellent article
>
><http://www.csj.org/infoserv_articles/zimbardo_philip_messeges.htm>
>What messages are behind today's cults?
>     Philip G. Zimbardo, Ph.D.
>
>One thing that amazes me is that one off the most destructive cults,
>Scientology, is left out of so many articles and is so hard to find
>information about.  I learned recently why this is so.  Scientology has such
>an enormous legal fund and high powered lawyers at their disposal that any
>negative reference within most of the western world is crushed under
>litigation.  No server in America can hold criticism of scientology.

That's simply not true.  www.operatingthetan.com holds information about my
adventures with the UFO cult and it is in the US.

short version here:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Henson

and if you Google "sex drugs cults" (without the quotes) the first link
will take you to an evolutionary psychology article I wrote on how cults
get such a hold on human brains.

Incidentally, if you want some low cost glory, now is the time to get into
the fight.  It looks very much like the scientology cult is on the ropes
and won't last out the year.  Tom Cruise probably had more effect than I did.

Keith Henson
(who is--none the less--still hiding out in the Mortmain Mountains)