[extropy-chat] Scientology and Transhumanism

Dirk Bruere dirk.bruere at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 23:19:33 UTC 2006

On 2/16/06, Pete Bertine <pkbertine at hotmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/16/06, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 2/16/06, Dirk Bruere wrote:
> > >
> > >  I am pursuaded, but you are brainwashed etc
> > >  The fact that two people can come to conflicting conclusions given the
> > same
> > > data means that there is likely no objective position.
> > >

> > That is a very silly, smart-alec statement unworthy of you, Dirk.
> >
> > Either,
> >
> > 1) You have very little knowledge of the way cult persuaders work and
> > the techniques they use. (Which I find hard to believe), or,
> >
> > 2) You are intent on defending the cult persuaders techniques by
> > equating them with a group of people having a discussion.
> > (Which is a ridiculous comparison. Naive people meeting these cult
> > persuaders for the first time are like children in the lions den).
> >
> > 3) Or maybe it was just a cynical remark that appealed to you at the time.
>
> >4) Caveat Emptor - I do not like the idea that people should be 'saved
> >from themselves' when they do something you don't like. What
> >consenting adults do amongst themselves is not my business, nor is it
> >yours IMO.
>
> >Dirk
>
> Hang on, I just googled you.  www.theconsensus.com Now I see why you like
> Hubbard !

www.theconsensus.org
And I neither like, nor dislike, Hubbard. Never met him or had and
desire to do so.

> Your 8 pointed star looks a lot like the church of scientology's "cross"

Perhaps, but it is also the WTA symbol.
It has a specific mythological history going back millenia.
It's simultaneously the symbol of JC and Lucifer, as well as being the
ancient Goddess symbol (which became the pentacle when the path of
Venus was finally traced in the sky). It's Promethean.
http://www.symbols.com/encyclopedia/28/2828.html
http://www.symbols.com/encyclopedia/44/4412.html

> http://www.theconsensus.org/uk/copyrights/index.html
>

> For the CoS symbol look half way down wikipedia's site
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientology

Actually, never seen that before.
Clearly it's a ripoff of the Xian version.

> Dirk - These aren't people being sold a lousy stereo or used car with the
> odo turned back.  In many cases children are abused in a cult and adults who
> become aware that they are in a cult are not allowed to leave, are
> terrorized, even killed.

Happens anyway - don't need a cult for that.

> You said," What consenting adults do amongst themselves is not my business,
> nor is it yours IMO."  That is a poorly reasoned sentence.  You allow that
> all people have a right to do as they chose, then you insist that others
> must agree with you.

True. But people who disagree with me have a nasty habit of trying to
create coercive laws to back up their 'save them from themselves'
crusade. I don't.

> We are not talking about saving an individual from themself.  We are talking
> about a group of people who have spun a fairytale out of an egomaniacs drug
> induced fantasy world.  We are talking about L Ron Hubbard who fed his son
> phenobarb laced chewing gum. A man who injected his son with speed and wrote
> a book about how his son thought he had become a clam. A book that later
> became Scientology gospel

Feel free not to buy it - I haven't.
Mohammed did worse IMO, and I don't own a copy of the Koran either.

Dirk