[extropy-chat] Human Machinations

Keith Henson hkhenson at rogers.com
Fri Feb 17 01:04:33 UTC 2006

At 07:27 AM 2/16/2006 +0000, you wrote:
>On 2/16/06, Keith Henson <<mailto:hkhenson at rogers.com>hkhenson at rogers.com>
>wrote:
>> >The model of economic productivity as "cargo" - something delivered from
>> >outside, with a fixed supply to be divided among a population - works well
>> >for a hunter-gatherer economy where wealth is collected largely as-is from
>> >the environment, but not for an industrial one where wealth is largely
>> >produced by people.
>>
>>Jeeze, guys, you would think am asking a trick question.  The income per
>>capital goes UP.
>
>(When the population starts dying out, I assume you mean.)

No.

You cut too much.  My question was:

 >>places. But in any case, with population growth below economic growth,
 >>what happens?

>In the "cargo" economic model which is approximately true of
>hunter-gatherer societies, that's approximately correct. In an industrial
>society, half the capita means half the minds and hands available to
>produce the income in the first place, so the total income also drops by
>half - no increase per capita. (Unfortunately, we evolved in
>hunter-gatherer societies, so the "cargo" economic model is more
>attractive than the industrial one, irrespective of the data.)

You put your finger on the critical point, "we evolved in hunter-gatherer
societies."  Populations (bands) killed each other when their population
growth overtaxed the ecosystem.  We are still set up to react that way to
falling population wide income per capita and/or the prospects that it will
get worse in the future.

>(If the population falls too far, you start losing economies of scale, so
>the per capita income will go down. I suspect other factors will come into
>play before that happens, though long beforehand the increased ratio of
>old age pensioners to workers will cause a drop in per capita income -
>that's starting to be observed in some countries already.)

This would be interesting to extrapolate, but I have not tried to apply the
model beyond the deep past and the immediate future.

Unlike hunter-gatherer societies (and largely due to technological
innovation) within broad limits we can have economic growth.  But if you
want to keep the gain setting on xenophobic memes turned down so you don't
get wars or related social disruptions, then the population growth has to
stay below the economic growth.

The paper and the model makes the case that--because economic growth got
ahead of population growth in Ireland--the average gain on the mechanism in
the population was turned down.  (I.e., a behavior switch was
flipped.)  With a gain of less than one, the circulating memes encouraging
the warriors to fight were damped till they lost motivational force and the
IRA went out of business.

>>Well, do you know of a population that supported war with a rising income
>>per capita and bright looking future prospects?  (One that was not attacked
>>of course.)  Examples will refute the model.
>>
>>This maps back to the stone age where such conditions shut off war.
>
>If you want me to shoot holes in your model, I'll be happy to oblige :) So
>that everyone (including those list subscribers who haven't read it) are
>clear what target I'm shooting at, why don't you post a brief summary of
>it here?

Evolutionary Psychology, Memes and the Origin of War
By H. Keith Henson

Abstract:   Evolutionary psychology and memetics are used to propose a
model of war.  Population growth leads to a resource crisis.  An impending
resource crisis activates a behavioral switch in humans allowing the build
up of xenophobic or dehumanizing memes, which synchronizes attacks on
neighboring tribes.  Hamilton's criterion of inclusive fitness is invoked
to account for the evolution of this species typical behavior.  War as a
species typical behavior in the EEA for humans is discussed, first as an
attack response and second as unprovoked attacks.  Unprovoked attacks are
proposed to require the build up of xenophobic or dehumanizing
memes.  Evolved brain mechanisms are proposed to cause these memes to
become more common when the subject population anticipates "looming
privation."  The well-known reduction in the ability of humans to think
rationally in war situations is explained in evolutionary terms as a
divergence in interest between the individual and his genes.  The problem
of avoiding wars is examined in terms of these mechanisms.  Population
growth at a higher rate than economic growth is proposed as the causal
factor for wars in the modern world.  This model and the "excess males"
model make different predictions about where future wars will start.  The
model is then applied to analyze current events.

I would be *delighted* if you can find holes in the model.  Most depressing
work I have ever done.

And if anyone wants a copy of the paper, just ask.

Keith Henson