[extropy-chat] Pluto New Horizons launch -getting ready

Bret Kulakovich bret at bonfireproductions.com
Fri Feb 17 15:16:03 UTC 2006

Hi spike!

If we just accept the necessary increase in mass to do this (since
we're forgoing fuel to land, why not), could we not build some sort
of kinetic ladder for the lander to step down?

If there were multiple projectiles of different materials landing in
(very) rapid succession, then we could build an environment starting
at the surface and working its way up to the actual "lander" in the
milliseconds before impact. This environment would gradually increase
the density of the medium the craft was passing through until it
reached the surface. Sort of like skidding to a halt. It could be
done with either materials or perhaps other forms of energy release,
depending on what was more economical to carry. If you consider the
timing necessary to reach critical mass in a fission-fusion-fission
reaction, I think this would be equally as "easy".

Thoughts?

Bret K.