[extropy-chat] CBS NEWS: Freezing Their Assets (Cryonics)

Bret Kulakovich bret at bonfireproductions.com
Fri Feb 17 14:24:53 UTC 2006

This is starting in a direction that has a pretty high potential, and
it is not a comforting one.

With the religious fervor currently roving the planet in search of
something to suppress, I don't know how many of these articles we
will be able to withstand. It is not an enjoyable trend. We will need
to think through tactical responses to articles like this, and
cultivate a somewhat protective (but open and honest) strategy until
a few current cultures mature. The assignment of the notion of wealth
and thereby superiority is immensely more dangerous than the
assumption of wealth. This strikes me at a personal level, with my
surname indicative of my family having gone through all this "once
before" at the turn of the last century in Russia.

I would like to start by offering that in general, most local
representations of religious institutions expect a tithe of 3-5% of
household income. This amount easily covers one's arrangements for
cryopreservation instead. Being a millionaire/plutocrat is not a
prerequisite for this option, only a belief in the human capability
to overcome its greatest obstacles. It could be argued ~ not where I
stand personally  ~ "How better to do God's work, than continue my
devout life in the future." Perhaps a meme worth keeping on the
backburner for some.

Bret K.