[extropy-chat] Pluto New Horizons launch -getting ready

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Fri Feb 17 15:28:17 UTC 2006

Good question thanks.  You are right: it is a puzzling output of the finite
element sim they were running, but it makes sense.  Above a certain
velocity, the mass of the projectile did not result in significant change in
the diameter of the hole.  The length of the projectile is directly
proportional to the depth of the hole and the projectile velocity is
directly proportional to the diameter of the hole.

The equations all get much simpler above about 3 km/sec.