[extropy-chat] Transhumanism as Religion

Dirk Bruere dirk.bruere at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 00:24:09 UTC 2006

On 2/18/06, Dirk Bruere <dirk.bruere at gmail.com> wrote:

> That is a very good summary of what is required.
> For more on the topic, see my other post.
> Care to join the conspiracy?

Oops!
I was referring to something that I answered in an offlist conversation that
I did not notice was offlist until just now. I won't quote the sender's
text, but I will quote my reply.

"Well, right now someone made me a business offer I cannot refuse.
If things go well I may have a few $million to spare in three or four
years:-)

However, you are correct in your assessment.
The Consensus grew out of a project that started in the early 90s that was
(in my mind) gearing up to be just this kind of cult (to use a perjorative
term). I did a lot of writing to get my thoughts in order, and dropped it
for a few years because it would not gel. I started looking at it again
around 1999 and decided to split the writings into sections. The political
stuff I bundled up and put in the form of a political party. I did that for
a number of reasons, including memetic engineering as well as using it as a
method of (excuse for) accessing people from doorsteps to major politicians.
In that sense it seems to be paying off.

The rest of the writings can roughly be divided into two sections. The first
is well advanced in the form of a book that deals with the interface of
technology and magick. Specifically, using models of the mind (eg Minsky)
coupled with rather interesting consciousness altering tech that isn't
widely publicised. I had intended to build some machines to sell as a
followup. The remaining stuff is something like a cross between NLP and Zen
and is far less developed. Fortunately I met a man who can fill in that
missing gap. His name is Marc Power, and it's just possible that Keith
Henderson might recognise the name. We mesh extremely well technically and
psychologically. I met him at a shamanic drumming session run by my other
half, Fiona.

So, maybe something will come together in the near future since he's now
back from Holland and we are all fired up to restart our conspiracy:-)

However, there is one major item missing that is essential. Namely, what's
in it for the average 'member'? real cults *do* offer something quite
substantial, at least in the minds of those involved. We have yet to decide
what that something should be.

Suggestions, conspiratorial members etc are welcome. All loot will be
divided unequally:-)"

Dirk