[extropy-chat] Prediction markets and Second Life virtual economy

Alejandro Dubrovsky alito at organicrobot.com
Sat Feb 18 05:48:56 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-02-17 at 20:52 -0800, Neil H. wrote:
> Below is an email which I recently sent to the Foresight Exchange
> discussion list, which I thought might be of interest to this group. I
> think it would be very interesting to try some of these ideas out, but
> unfortunately I have too many time pressures from grad school to
> coordinate such an effort myself. Would anybody in this group be
> interested in pursuing this?
>
> There were some pretty interesting follow-up responses to my email.
> You can see the entire thread here:
> http://forum.javien.com/conv.php?new=true&convdata=id::GjKLIYRD-eMmu-ZaAz-ztrl-89xB1SINPC_J

Sounds like an excellent idea.  I can't see the various governments with
jurisprudence staying away from Linden Labs for too long if SL becomes
popular though, and if it doesn't then Linden Labs will probably be
forced to fold (they were close to bankruptcy not too long ago IIRC).
Either way, not good for 15 year long bets,  but short term (< 1 year?)
bets would probably be fine.

On a related note, an alpha version of the linux client got released
recently (http://secondlife.com/community/linux-alpha.php)   Quite a few
problems with textures, and dog slow on an old computer like mine, so
you better have a Geforce 5xxx or something like that, but worth a look
in any case.