[extropy-chat] Transhumanism as Religion

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Sat Feb 18 05:55:21 UTC 2006

On Feb 17, 2006, at 12:25 PM, The Avantguardian wrote:

> Allow me to tempt you further. I'll see your heaven on
> Earth and raise you a diaspora across the stars. I
> have been thinking much along these lines for quite
> some time. Transhumanism is already viewed by the
> masses as some kind of cult. I don't see what there
> would be to lose. I can think of much to gain. Think
> about the potential. A cult based upon empiricism,
> philosophy, and rational optimism where we canonize
> the likes of Plato, Darwin, Neitszche, and Einstein. A
> religion that actually imparted immeninently useful
> truths upon the faithful that were of consequence in
> the HERE AND NOW and not some illusory afterlife.

I have thought, as you know, along similar lines often enough.
Humans have all of this spiritual/mystical leaning wiring that is
some of the most accessible and motivational available.  It might be
necessary and prudent to avail ourselves of these aspects of reality
in order to maximize achieving our goals.  Of course that breaks down
if these aspects contain such deep inherent problems that they self-
sabotage what we hope to achieve.

> A seamless blending of ancient wisdom from around the
> world and cutting edge science. After a life time of
> scientific enquiry and spiritual seeking, I literally
> have faith in the potential for humanity to transcend
> its limitations.

Sure.  But the "seamless" bit seem nearly impossible to achieve.
There is too much nonsensical baggage that has adhered to "ancient
wisdom".

> And why should we not? We alone of
> amongst the creatures of the world have any concept of
> the scope of this vast universe and how little of it
> we have explored. Why would we be able to discern it
> at all, if we were not meant to explore it?

Pointless speculation that assumes some higher power whose permission
we need to seek or be assured of.  Insidious isn't it?

> Whether the gods created us in their image or we
> created them in ours, we are nonetheless CREATORS. Why
> should we not then strive to create a future that is
> to our liking and embrace that future?

Of course we should or not "should" but can and must to reach our
maximum potential.  Yes I am assuming that is a Good Thing.

> Unless and
> until Fermi's Great Silence is unequivocally broken,
> then we alone are the avatars of the sentient living
> universe. It is time we started acting like the
> godlings we are. To paraphrase the Buddha, "In all of
> heaven and earth, I alone am holy."

Hmm.  I am all for taking ourselves seriously but "holy"?   I got out
of that sort of thinking/feeling and I am not sure I see any good
reason to go back.  I found it dangerous to my rationality and sanity.

- samantha