[extropy-chat] META: ExI List Quality & Future

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 pgptag at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 18:21:06 UTC 2006

Natasha, pleeeeease! Nooooooo! Don't do this! This is the wrong way to go!!!
OK listen on:
This looks like trying to go back to the "Good Old Heroic Times" of
this list. But it would be like trying to recapture the taste of your
first kiss. Unfortunately, your first kiss is gone. Past. No other
kiss will taste like that, ever. But there will be other kisses, good
in their own right. Perhaps, in some sense, better.
I have been on this list since 1998 or 1999, I was just lurking for
the first couple of years and then started posting. At that time there
was much less diversity on the list. For me, it was terribly
interesting because reading the list was a total immersion in a
well-defined worldview that I had not been previously exposed to - at
least not in a systematic fashion. But as you say, at that time there
were not so meny of us on the net. Now we have a much larger community
on the net, very diverse in terms of geography, education and
lifestyle and, listen to me, *this is good*.
I value the diversity on this list, and even the occasional passionate debate.
If this list is transformed into an invitation-only list, I am afraid
it will soon degenerate in a small group of people who preach to the
converted. Not very effective for spreading our worldview.
We want immortality, uploading, merging flesh with sand, freedom (yes
I am a leftwinger and I want freedom, I may have occasionally tried to
explain what I mean), endless discovery and exploration, and leaving
many old things behind. But I don't want to want what I want like an
ostrich who stick his head in the sand because it is afraid to see the
world. I want to continue wanting what I want *after* having heard,
and considered, other points of view, sometimes defending the old
things we wish to leave behind. Perhaps we can learn a couple of
things that we can integrate in our own worldview..
If you wish to create something like a focused working group, fine, I
think it would be a very good initiative. But please, *besides* and
not *instead of* the public list.
G.