[extropy-chat] META: ExI List Quality & Future

Hal Finney hal at finney.org
Tue Feb 21 00:08:18 UTC 2006

I applaud this concept.  This mailing list has been around in some
form or another for, what, 15 years?   That is an eternity in net time.
It is time for something new.

Extropy is about change.  It is not a philosophy of stagnation.  Yes,
change can be scary.  It takes us out of our comfort zone and forces
us to be mentally flexible and adaptable.  But such traits are, after
all, an important part of Extropian philosophy.  We should always be on
the lookout for ways to challenge comfortable old habits and to shake
ourselves out of our ruts.

The Exi-chat list is the deepest rut around, and it needs to die.
Of course, it will fight back.  This is a new form of danger and risk
that we face: domination by our memetic creations.  The list doesn't
want to die.  It fights for life by activating its minions: you and me
and all of the lurkers.  When people write about how they love the list
and want to see it continue as it is, they are responding to memetic
pressure from the list itself.

You have to fight back.  Any time you have created something and it
starts to control your life, think about whether you really want to be
in thrall to your creation.  Often the best thing to do is to move on.
Start something new.  It is all part of staying flexible and avoiding
memetic domination.

Hal